A Layman’s Introduction to Performance
A slow database is not only a nightmare for its users; it can also cost your business in terms of time and efficiency. Instead of waiting a long time for a response, the user can use that time doing something more productive.
The good news is that you could do some performance tuning on your Oracle database in order to help it perform faster and better.
Database administrators usually know what areas to tune. Poor performance can stem from the following scenarios:
1. Flawed database design. You can do some performance tuning on the database design, such as checking if you have configured the data replication and aggregation tables correctly, or if you have de-normalized them properly.
2. Bad SQL code. A majority of performance slowdown that happens on Oracle systems are caused by badly written SQL
3. Improper timing of batch tasks. This could slow down your database, especially during peak hours.
4. Incorrect sizing of buffers. Incorrect sizes for buffers, like the buffer cache, shared pool and log buffer, could lead to the need for some memory tuning.
5. Database contention.
6. Problems with your operating system.Click here to read more about this article
Does that sound like a lot of places to look at? Do not worry, because you have a wide array of utilities and tools that you could use. Some of these tools are:
• Automated Database Diagnostics Monitor
• The Tuning Pack in Oracle Enterprise Manager
• Begin and end stats monitoring
More than that, you also have a large community of Oracle experts who could help you with your performance tuning.
Pressed for time?
However, if you are having problems figuring out what to tune or, much more, how to tune it, then maybe it is time to call in the experts.
There are companies that provide performance tuning for Oracle databases.
Four Cornerstone has a team of experts who are experienced and skilled in database performancetuning. Four Cornerstone can monitor your database performance and detect problems as soon as they arise. Not only that, we also carry out the actual performance tuning
SQL tuning is done to improve the execution or production plan with as few PIO physical reads and LIO buffer gets as possible. SQL tuning involves these processes:
• Minimizing full-table scans on large tables
• Caching full-table scans on small tables
• Using the proper index
• Effectively managing your tables and data
It might seem like SQL tuning is a walk in the park, but we assure you that it is not. In fact, SQL tuning is very complicated and its processes, how-tos, and solutions could easily fill a thick book.
If you have the manpower or the time to learn the ins and outs of SQL tuning, then you are lucky.
However, chances are that your business operations will not have that much leeway for mistakes or delays.
Four Cornerstone can help you carry out Oracle SQL tuning. We can take you through the different steps, such as identifying the SQL statements that are most frequently used and how these impact your database. We can come up with the perfect product plan for you.
Performance tuning can prove to be a frustrating exercise for you. Work with us so that these headaches would become a thing of the past and you will be able to focus on more important things!
Four Cornerstone, LLC is a leading consulting, information technology, and professional services’ corporation based in Fort Worth, Texas. Our firm was built on a foundation of wisdom, integrity, skill and customer satisfaction. The CEO and senior leadership team bring together over a decade of management experience and talent to the corporation. Senior consultants, project managers, DBA’s, and programmers hold great experience from working at the best IT companies in the country. Our mission is to offer stability in the constantly changing technology marketplace and continually provide valuable services to our customers. We will achieve this by building long term relationships, utilizing our technically advanced products and systems, inspiring our employees and consultants to reach their full potential, and providing reliable, consistent service. Contact us today and see how we can help achieve your business goals.
Photo by Oracle.